Pomelos originated from Southeast Asia, but are now grown in different countries around the world. The U.S. is now one of the biggest producers of pomelos, beating China, Mexico and other countries.
The regions where these trees grow are characterized by their warm, tropical climate, like Florida, where temperature ranges from 77 to 86 degrees Fahrenheit (25 to 30 degrees Celsius). The pomelo tree can grow up to 15 meters high, with some varieties having thorny branches.
Being the largest citrus fruit, the pomelo measures between 10 to 30 centimeters in diameter, and can weigh up to 3 kilograms. The color of its skin ranges from light green to yellow, with a thick pith that protects its flesh. The flesh of the pomelo also differs in color, depending on the variety. Their color ranges from white to rose-red.
As for the taste, some people say that pomelos taste like grapefruit, but without the tartness. It actually has a sweeter flavour than other citruses.
Recipe- Serves 1
- I large pomelo – Segmented and brûlée with blow torch to give it a char
- 100gm Mixed cherry tomatoes – Ive used a variety of yellow, russet and grape.
- 7 Sorrel leaves
- 10gm pomegranate pearls (fresh ) -optional
- 10gmAlmond flakes toasted
- 25gm Goat cheese feta
- 5gm bell chilli – Wafer thin sliced
For Oven Baked kale chips
- 1 small bundle curly green or purple kale
- 1-2 Tbsp melted coconut
Preheat oven to 110 C. Use convection bake if you have it to speed cooking time and help chips crisp up even more.
- Rinse and thoroughly dry kale, then tear into small pieces and discard any large stems
- Add to a large mixing bowl and drizzle with oil and seasonings of choice. Toss thoroughly to combine, using hands to distribute the oil and seasonings evenly
- Spread the kale over 2 large baking sheets , ensuring the kale touches as little as possible to help them crisp while baking
- Bake for 15 minutes, then turn the tray around and lightly toss/stir kale to ensure even baking. Bake for 5-10 minutes more, or until kale is crispy and very slight golden brown. Watch closely as it can burn easily
For Honey Mustard vinaigrette
- 1tsp whole grain mustard
- 1tsp honey
- pinch smoked lavasalt
- 100ml olive oil
- 1lemon, juice and zest
- Whisk all ingredients until it makes a smooth dressing. Add smoked Lavasalt and adjust seasoning to your liking.
- Scatter the halved Cherry tomatoes randomly on the plate. Now add the chilli.
- Take about 7 charred pomelo and add them in the gaps on the plate.
- Follow this with crumbled chunks of the Goat cheese feta.
- Nestle the baked kale chips , ad dress the pomelo with the honey mustard vinaigrette.
- Add Sorrel. Do not over dress the salad.
- Garnish with the toasted almond flakes and serve.